The Australian and New Zealand Spinal Cord Society, ANZSCoS has been formed in order to promote the high quality management of people with spinal cord lesions throughout Australia and New Zealand.
- Serve as an impartial, non political and non profit making association whose purpose is to study all problems relating to traumatic and non traumatic lesions of the spinal cord. This includes causes, prevention, basic and clinical research, medical and surgical management, clinical practice, education, rehabilitation and social reintegration. This Society will function in close collaboration with other national and international bodies, the International Spinal Cord Society in particular.
- Provide a scientific exchange among its members and others by collecting and disseminating information through regional and international seminars, symposia, conferences, correspondence, publications, exhibits, and otherwise.
- Devise, encourage, promote and when requested, assist in efforts to co-ordinate or guide research, development and evaluation activities related to spinal cord lesions throughout Australia and New Zealand.
- Advise, encourage, guide and support the efforts of those responsible for the care of people with spinal cord injury and when requested correlate these activities throughout Australia and New Zealand.
- Advise, encourage, guide and support the efforts of those responsible for the education and training of medical professionals and professionals allied to medicine and when requested correlate these activities throughout Australia and New Zealand.
- ANZSCoS is a Non-Profit Organisation. The assets and income of the organisation shall be applied solely in the furtherance of its above-mentioned objects and no portion shall be distributed directly or indirectly to the members of the organisation except as bona fide compensation for services rendered or expenses incurred on behalf of the organisation.
ANZSCoS is a testament to the passion and care that health professionals have for spinal cord injuries in Australia and New Zealand, and recognises the value in working collaboratively with consumers. The ANZSCoS Annual Scientific Meeting (ASM) promotes collaborations and information sharing that helps provide the best management for people with spinal cord injury.
ANZSCoS is an affiliated society of ISCoS and membership of ANZSCoS is open to individuals who are members or associate members of ISCoS. Benefits of membership include:
- Online access to Spinal Cord and Spinal Cord Series and Cases journals.
- Discount on registration to ANZSCoS and ISCoS ASM
- Entitlement to vote at both the ISCoS and ANZSCos Annual General Meetings
- Be a voice on how ISCoS and ANZSCos can best meet the objectives of providing the best management for people with spinal cord lesions.
Information on how to join can be found on the ISCoS website: http://www.iscos.org.uk/applying-for-membership
President: Leanne Rees (Vic)
Vice-President: Brooke Wadsworth (Qld)
Treasurer: Dr Gerard Weber (NSW)
Secretary: Joanne Glinsky (NSW)
Ex-President: Dr Raj Singhal (NZ)
Research and Development Officer: Janette Alexander (Vic)
Committee Members: Dr Susan Urquhart (Qld), Soo Oh (Qld), Andrew Hall (NZ), Maria van den Heuval (NZ).